Baked chicken stuffed with chestnuts
- 1 whole chicken, (3.3 lbs or 1.5 kg)
- 12 oz chestnuts, pre-cooked
- 3 tbsp raisins
- 4 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ACAIA or Aeolian Olive extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp mustard
- salt, pepper, to taste
- First prepare the chestnut stuffing. In a medium casserole, place the chestnuts and add raisins, pine nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and 1 cup water; boil together until all liquids have evaporated.
- In a shallow casserole, sauté the sliced onions in the ACAIA or Aeolian Olive extra virgin olive oil; add the chestnut mixture and let boil until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- In a small bowl, mix the orange juice, salt, pepper, thyme and parsley. Rub this mixture on the exterior and interior of the chicken.
- Use the chestnut stuffing to fill the chicken and close the chicken with toothpicks.
- Rub the chicken with mustard, cover, and bake it in oven, at 300°F (150°C) for 1.5 – 2 hours until no longer pink at the bone