Yield: 4 medium loaves
For the bread dough
- 2.2 lbs flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup ACAIA or Aeolian Olive extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ cups warm water
- 1 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
For the olive filling
- 1/2 cup black olives, chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 7 fresh mint leaves
- 4 tbsp ACAIA or Aeolian Olive extra virgin olive oil
- To prepare the dough, sift the flour into a large bowl and add the salt.
- In another small bowl, dilute the dry yeast and sugar with half of the water; add in the ACAIA extra virgin olive oil. Add liquid mixture to the flour mixture.
- Add in the chopped black olives. Stir all the ingredients gently, gradually adding the rest of the water. Knead well until the dough pulls easily away from the sides of the bowl. Cover and let sit for an hour, until almost doubled in size.
- To prepare the filling, mix all the ingredients in a small bowl
- Once the dough is double in size, separate it into 4 equal, round-shaped pieces
- Place one quarter of the filling in the center of each piece of dough, sprinkle with the oregano and fold the dough over the filling to form a loaf
- Place all the loaves on greased pans, with the fold of each facing downward.
- Let them rise for an hour
- Baste with ACAIA extra virgin olive oil. Use a sharp knife to score the bread (5 times) to ease the baking procedure
You may add other ingredients in the filling such as sundried tomatoes, feta cheese or anchovies.