Chickpeas in tomato sauce
- 1 cup chickpeas, uncooked; alternatively three cups cooked, canned, and drained chickpeas
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup ACAIA or Aeolian Olive extra virgin olive oil
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 vegetable cube
- salt, pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 2 small red dried chili peppers (optional)
- If using uncooked chickpeas, place them in a bowl, cover with warm water, add a pinch of salt, and soak overnight.
- The next morning, cover chickpeas with water in a pot; when they come to a boil, remove the foam that has formed on the surface of the water. Then let boil until soft, 1 ½ -2 hours.
- In a separate saucepan combine the remaining ingredients and boil to form a sauce.
- Place the boiled chickpeas in an over-safe casserole, cover with the sauce, and bake for approximately half an hour at 350° F (175 °C).
- Whisk together eggs, grated cheese, and parsley in a medium bowl.